The Russian culture course includes information about Russian customs and traditions, geographical features of Russia, as well as materials exploring Russian national characteristics and the Russian mentality. Contemporary Russian society is featured in this course. The classes can cover all of the abovementioned topics, or focus on one or two concrete aspects of the course, according to the wishes of students. As part of the course, several different learning resources created especially for foreign students who are studying Russian are used. Video lessons focusing on Russian geography are also used. Students will analyze the suggested material both in spoken and written forms, and will compare aspects of Russian culture with those of their home country. During the lessons the teacher will also draw attention to the linguistic aspects (vocabulary and grammar) that a student may be grappling with. This course is intended for students from levels B2 – C1 and comprises 30 hours. The course may, however, be extended according to the wishes of students.
Class materials used:
- Vishnyakov, S. A. Культура России от Древней Руси до наших дней. (Russian Culture from Ancient Rus to our Times)- Моsсow: Flinta-Nauka, 2008;
- Sergeeva, A. V. Какие мы, русские? (What are we Russians like?) – Moscow: Russian language, 2006;
- Sergeeva, A. Русские: стереотипы поведения, традиции, ментальность Russians: Stereotypes of Behaviour, Traditions, and Mentality – Moscow: Flinta-Nauka, 2006
- Kuznetsov, A., Kozhevnikova, M. Из истории русской культуры (From the History of Russian Culture) – Moscow: Russian language, 2009;
- Pavlovskaya, A. Culture Shock: Russia. NY, 2008;
- Zhaboklitskaya, I.I. Российские праздники: история и совеременность (Russian Holidays: History and the Present). – Moscow: Russian language: 2008;
- Pisarchik, N., Prochorov U. Мы похожи, но мы разные (We are similar, but different). – Saint Petersburg: Златоуст, 2000 – 2004 (1st and 2nd editions);
- Basco, N. V. Знакомимся с русскими традициями и жизнью россиян (Let’s learn about Russian Traditions and the lives of Russians). – Moscow: Russian language, 2007;
- Rzhevsky, N. The Cambridge Companion to Modern Russian Culture. Cambridge, 2008;
- Boyko, N. U. Сказки на уроке русского языка (Stories for learning Russian). – Saint Petersburg: Златоуст, 2005;
- Zhelvis, V. Эти странные русские (These strange Russians). – Moscow: Egmont Russia Ltd, 2002;
- Pavlovskaya, A. Как иметь дело с русскими (Living with Russians). – Moscow: Moscow State University, 2003;
- Россия. Большой лингвострановедческий словарь (Russia: Large Dictionary of Linguistic and Regional Studies). – Moscow: Slovari 21Veka (Dictionaris of the 21st Century), 2008;
- Video –lessons “Multi-Russia” and “Travel with us”.